Friday, January 11, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye //Affectively

Before I began reading The Catcher in the Rye, I had a feeling I would relate to it somehow. I read the summary of the book and thought of the many scenarios I have been in, where I have faced the infamous "being a teenager" problem. Several words stuck out to me as I read the summary of the book such as, "teenage confusion," "angst," "alienation," and "rebellion." All in which I have felt and continue to feel while still being a teenager. Although I am at the start of this book, it has already made me feel different emotions already. I feel slightly depressed, because of the way Holden (main character) describes his roommate and people he associates with, where he lives, and the things he has to deal with on a daily basis. This book also makes me feel confused, empty, and anxious as to what is going to happen in the near future to Holden. So far I think this book is slow. I am anxious to get to the good parts of the book, but I feel like it is just taking time. Perhaps JD Salinger did this to either lead us up to something important in the book or to help us become aware of Holden's life. I know that Holden is being kicked out of yet another school because of failing four out of the five classes he as enrolled in. I also know that even though he has failed 4/5 classes, he is very knowledgeable when it comes to his English class. I believe that I am going to continue to connect to some of Holden's emotions and opinions in this book. Holden is very opinionated and likes to be himself. I am very much the same way. I know that Holden is telling the story and tells the story he does. His language and some of the people he associates with can be quite offensive, so at times it can be difficult to read.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job connecting to the language and experience. I am looking forward to hearing more about your book!

    ReplyDelete