Friday, February 8, 2013

Midterm Response // It's All a Cycle

So far I have read The Catcher in the Rye and now I have begun To Kill a Mockingbird. Overall, reading The Catcher in the Rye was much more of learning experience and an eye opener than I had intended it to be. When I first began reading the novel, it was definitely a drag. I just couldn't get into it as I hoped I would have. I never got to the point where I couldn't put it down, but I did get to a point where things started to make sense and I realized what the author's message was.
Salinger's message was to adults, not just adolescents. An adult or a teenager could read it and take something from it. As a teenager I discovered that there is a lot of conformity in our world today. Too many people follow the path that has been traveled way too many times and either realize that it isn't for them or don't realize it and are stuck on this path of no originality, phoniness, and artificial life. This novel taught me to just keep being me. Not only to keep being myself, but help others who feel like they are being swallowed up by the shallow lives of others. It was also a wake up call to point out the things I myself do in life that are phony and bland. My favorite part of the novel was the brutally honest, Holden Caulfield. Salinger wasn't afraid to give it to you straight and that's what I enjoyed the most. I would encourage others to read The Catcher in the Rye, but I recommend that they find a clean version. (If possible) :)
Reading books of any sort in school seems to be ancient history anymore. So, I appreciate the fact that we have been given this privilege to read again. The reflection part that is involved with our reading is probably the most important part. By reflecting what we read to others through our blogs or other means of communication inspires others to read, do something for someone, reevaluate parts of their lives, etc. It's a trickle down effect. What inspires us may inspire someone else in a completely different way, but the main achievement in it all, is that it is inspiring someone.
Our quarter project for Novels is to do something awesome. We are supposed to take something we learned from our book and do something with it that is well, awesome. I have an idea, but I'm just not certain if it's the idea. I learned from my novel that the world needs less phony, more real. So I thought about speaking to the incoming freshman class of the next school year. I would talk to them about how important it is to be yourself in a world full of people who seem to be all the same. If money wasn't an issue I thought about creating bracelets that would remind someone each day to be yourself and live your life with conforming or being phony to others.
Reading can really change the way people think. It opens your eyes, mind, and heart to look at a situation completely different. It's other people's words, but sometimes it's your words too. An author may write about exactly how you feel or what you are thinking and it can make you feel less alone. I love how no matter what, some part of a book will always apply to my life.
As for the rest of the quarter (and semester), I hope to become a person who inspires others because I was inspired by someone else. It's all a cycle.

6 comments:

  1. Taylor, your last paragraph is really what this is about, and the fact, you understand that...warms my heart. The book you are reading now will touch your heart, will incite frustration and anger. Even the idea of being self will apply to your current reading. I think talking to underclassmen is a great idea. I challenge you even more, how could your pep talk be not only for those in our school, but freshmen everywhere. Taylor, what you are understanding now-the power of inspiration, the cyclical impact, the power of reading, the power of originality-many adults struggle to come to that understanding. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right with how the book I am reading now and how it will frustrate me..there are so many conflicts within the whole story and each frustrate me and make me think and connect in a different way. I have been brainstorming different ideas for my project and would like to get your opinion on them sometime! I am loving this class more and more..thank you for being such an inspiration Ms. O.

      Delete
  2. Taylor,
    I have not read The Catcher in the Rye. Can you believe it? I'm 40! Somehow I "got away" with it, but it looks like now it will be on my "to be read" list, thanks to you.
    My favorite part of what you wrote is this: "This novel taught me to just keep being me. Not only to keep being myself, but help others who feel like they are being swallowed up by the shallow lives of others." Yes, yes, yes. I knew this, deep inside, for many years, but I still let others dictate (to a point) what I did and how I acted. At other times, I was totally myself and "at home" with me. When I was just ME, I was the happiest. It's so valuable that you recognize this now, and want to share what you learned with others.
    Because not everyone will read this influential book, you will be one of the few (many??) that will use it to inspire others. Teach them what you've learned, and share with them your passion for it so they know you are speaking from your heart. I have a feeling that whatever you decide to do for your project will not be enough for you, and that you will continue to inspire others from here on...
    Thank you for being such a positive light in my morning "reads!" I'll put Salinger on my list right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Kirr,

      Don't feel bad! My mom was able to "get away" with it too and now she is planning on reading it in the near future.
      I find it important to always be yourself no matter the situation. I can also relate to the fact where I let others dictate how I should act or feel, but it just never feels right and I end up feeling disappointed with myself because I didn't show who I really was. Today I see many of my peers acting in different ways depending on who they're around. It frustrates me because I know the "real them", but they hide it. This is why I find it so important to focus on my peers and the younger students; I want them to realize that it's perfectly okay to be yourself in a judgmental world.
      I am so happy that my post has affected you in some way..I never knew the impact of words until now! I want to give you a big thank you for the inspiring words you've given me..they keep me motivated in my project.
      Needless to say, I can't wait to get rolling with my project! Thank you again for the supportive and encouraging words. Your posts have definitely made my days brighter.
      P.S. I would love to hear your take on The Catcher in the Rye!

      Delete
  3. Your post has made me speechless. Your words are so powerful and I'm glad that you are getting something out of books that don't necessarily make it so you can't put it down. You seem to have a way of taking what you are reading and really applying it not just to apply it but to actually get something out of it. Your project sounds great and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,
    This is beautiful! You have shared your amazing wisdom with many people, and I thank you for writing and posting it.

    You've shared so many rich insights. I love that you stuck with the book even when you didn't want to. I'm glad you learned a life-enriching message too.

    I think it will be great to do something awesome as a result of reading this book. I think the challenge to the freshman class could be very powerful, as they will hear important messages more from young people than adults. Maybe you could get a business to donate toward the bracelet cause if you decide to do that project. Or you may still come up with THE idea! I will look forward to hearing more about the awesome thing you do to share your learning.

    I'm glad you are contributing, Taylor!

    Denise Krebs

    ReplyDelete