Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reading Affectively // Suicide Note

How this reading makes me feel...

All my life I have tried to remind myself "everything happens for a reason." I remind myself this because I know that it all must be a part of God's plan and I trust His plan for me. Reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason compares to me that reminding yourself on a Thursday that tomorrow is Friday or even though you just spent a lot of money on a car, at least you have a sweet ride...and a car. Although the circumstances now may be pretty crappy, something better is going to turn out because of it. A situation may happen in your life where you do not understand at all at why it happened; you're frustrated, grieving, depressed, confused, etc. The belief that something amazing is going to happen from it is a difficult task to accomplish. How can we have so much strength and confidence that we are going to get out of this situation and be okay from it?

Reading Suicide Note was a slight impulse of mine. I was on my Kindle searching for something to spark my interest. The summary of the book was short but those five words hit me and I knew I had to read it...everything happens for a reason. As I began reading I felt many of the emotions that Jenn and Shane, and Jake feel in this book. I realized as I read further that I didn't relate with one character, but pretty much all of them. It made me think about how although you may think that someone is completely different than you and may be living their dream or has a great life...they may be fighting the same battle as you are. 

I must admit this isn't my favorite book nor does it have the best storyline, but it made me realize the bigger picture than just the words on the pages. I keep referring back to those five words "everything happens for a reason"; simple, yet so important are they. I have been fighting my own battles as well as everyone else on this planet and it was nice to get another wake up call to remind myself that my problems and worries don't take president over anyone else's. Not only did it remind me of that, but it also hit me a little more personally. There have been many times where I feel like giving up. To give up completely on things I hold close to my heart. I have had these thoughts due to going through tough times, not having the confidence and strength I needed, and most importantly not having a close relationship with God. All of those factors seem to be a roller coaster in my life. One minute I feel like everything is going alright and I have the strength to muster through any hard times coming my way, and the next minute I feel like the dirt on the bottom of someone's shoe. I feel so low and that I can't go on anymore. Although this book is not true, I still feel that I learned something from it. I can't give up when things are going wrong. I have to be strong enough to go on and get to the better part of my life. Problems and bad situations are always going to occur in people's lives, but it is how we deal with those problems to fully grasp them and take them as a tragedy or a blessing.

"Things spoken can be forgotten and forgiven, but the written word has the power to change the course of history, to alter our lives." 

1 comment:

  1. I think we all need reminders that we should be thankful...that what happens happens for a reason. We grow through adversity. That growth is not always easy and rarely is. Thank you for such a thoughtful post. You are truly a gem, and I am thankful you are my student!

    ReplyDelete